In 2022 we are delighted to be offering Culgower House as an exclusive use whole house let. Ideally located self catering accommodation/ holiday rental near Brora and Helmsdale on the scenic coast of East Sutherland in the north Highlands of Scotland.
The perfect base from which to explore the north Highlands and Orkney; whilst playing the many local golf courses; fishing or shooting; walking or climbing, or as a base from which to tour loops of the North Coast 500. Available April to October 2022, book through the button at the top of the page.
Bedrooms - 4 double rooms with UK king size beds (one superking can split to a twin); 2 en-suite bathrooms plus a large family bathroom. 2 travel cots available.
Social spaces - well equipped dining kitchen, large sitting room, large dining room, separate tv room
Useful spaces - downstairs cloakroom, laundry room, home office, boot room, dressing room and free wi-fi
Outside - an acre of mature, landscaped garden with views to the sea, seating areas and barbeque area
house - Culgower House is a Victorian farmhouse, built around 1850, set in its own grounds, with hills behind, glorious views out over the Moray Firth and beaches within walking distance. A tranquil, rural, Highland family home with local textiles, original art and a mix of antique and contemporary furniture. with warm hospitality. We welcome assistance dogs, but are unable to accommodate pets.
bedrooms - The four individually styled bedrooms have king-size beds, touches of local tweeds and great linens; three have sea views, The three bathrooms (2 en-suite and one family bathroom) all have large baths and separate, walk-in showers and are supplied with fluffy towels and organic, local toiletries.
- The house has inviting sitting room with a piano and a wood burning stove for cooler evenings. There are plenty of books, board games, suggested day trips and local tourist information to help you make the most of your time in the area.
- The dining room also has a stove and a large table made of local oak which comfortably seats 8. The dining kitchen is fully equipped with a large AGA range cooker, microwave, fridge (freezer is in the boot room), and various kitchen appliances.
- The house also has a separate TV room with wall mounted television, freeview, DVD player and collection of DVDs.
- laundry room has a butler's sink, washing machine, tumble dryer and a line for indoor drying.
- office has desk space, an internet linked desk top computer and a printer.
- boot room at the back of the house has a full sized larder freezer, hanging and storage space, ideal for securing bicycles.
- downstairs cloakroom with toilet and wash hand basin on the ground floor.
- dressing room, upstairs between the 2 front bedrooms, with substantial amounts of hanging and shelf space plus a full length mirror.
- Wi-fi is available throughout the house using boosters.
outside space - set in a acre of grounds, the garden has beautiful sea views and a well kept garden comprising, lawns, mature shrubs, kitchen pottager and wooded areas. There are a number of seating areas and an area suitable for barbequing. Guests are welcome to help themselves to any fruit, salads, herbs or flowers which may be ripe/ in bloom during their stay.
food - On arrival the cupboards will be stocked with basic cooking ingredients (oil, herbs, flour, sugar, etc) and we include a complimentary welcome basket with local speciality foods and drink. For shopping there is a well supplied Co-op and a bakery in Brora and a small Spar in Helmsdale. Golspie has a good butcher and good fishmonger. Larger supermarkets are available in Tain, Wick, Thurso, Invergordon and Inverness.
eating out - There is a good range of eating out options in nearby Helmsdale and Brora as well as futher afield (see food page for further details).